Tuesday 15 March 2011

Coming Soon

Is it just me or have comics got very "samey" of late? I've almost - though not quite - given up buying them because there's very little in modern comics publishing that interests me. A lot of it seems to be licencing - which, incidentally I've nothing against but whenever it dominates the marketplace to the exclusion of all else there's something wrong. The other day I was in a bookshop and the amount of Green Hornet graphics which were on the graphics shelves was unbelievable. There were rows and rows of graphic books, all dealing with the same character, all trying to cash in on the recent film. Again, nothing against the Green Hornet but there appears to be nothing that's fresh or even remotely original. That's why I, together with some friends, am making a bit of an attempt to get back into the comics field. As a child of the 1960s/70s I've always looked at comics as an important cultural and social medium but recently just like so much music, they've become very bland and unispiring/ Maybe this is the wrong time to begin such a venture bacause I know that the graphics industry is being squeezed just as much as the mainstream publishing world if not more so. But I/we really feel that the graphics world needs something different. The problem of course for us is that we're all very busy at doing other things - ne in writing and community work, Adrian is a senior graphics designee at an exhibition centre and David who is working across is medical records in Newcastle. But something is on its way and we're determined to put something up on the web very soon. So watch out for Space 1949, Doc Lazarus and Joachim Darke - look out for alternate universes, time travel, and 17th century demons. Hopefully we'll have something up in the next couple of weeks but if you're interested drop me a line - it's what Bog Standard Comics is all about

No comments:

Post a Comment